Student Feedback



This semester as part of a mid semester reflection assignment, I asked my students why they thought I had them make an Xtranormal movie and what they best remembered so far from our class. Here are some of their answers:

My strongest memory of economic concepts from this class is the 8 economic guideposts.  I liked the examples that were used in class. They applied to our lives as college students which made them interesting or funny and therefore, easy for us to remember. I remember 6 of them thanks to the xtranormal video you had us create. 

You also had us try to write them all down the other day to see which ones we could remember.  I got almost all of them and after consulting with the person sitting next to me we got all 8.  A little later into class you asked us to do it again and i remembered all of them.  These guideposts are used constantly in class and in life, and now I can pick them out and recognize them. I think you had us create the xtranormal video as a memorization tool. 

I can remember 6 of the 8 guideposts clearly because of how I used them in my xtranormal video.  It was a creative and fun way of getting me to remember them instead of just straight memorization.  It is something that will stick in my head because of how they were used in a joking way in the video.

I think Russ had us make the Xtranormal video so that we could see that economics is present in everyday life. We all made videos based on simple scenarios that could happen at any time, and by doing that, it proves that economics is everywhere.

We created the xtranormal video so we could see how the 8 guidepost are used in everyday events. By creating a story it forced us to completely understand what each guidepost meant.

The main reason you wanted us to complete the xtranormal activity is you wanted us to have a full understanding of how you can relate the 8 economic guideposts to a real life situation. It helped us comprehend how a significant guidepost related to whichever story plot you chose. Each character had to understand what would be the consequences of their actions.

I believe you made us create the xtranormal video because it would help us remember the guidepost in our own way. When you can remember a term through an example it make it a lot easier

To be honest I do not know why we did the xtranormal video, but I thought it was a lot of fun.  It allowed a group of students to interact and create a motion picture of their choosing to be creative and hilarious.

My strongest memory from class thus far would have to be the eight guideposts to economic thinking.  The guideposts serve as the “building blocks “for the economic theory

  It’s a fun way to learn the guideposts. If you had us sit down, study them and quiz us on them – we wouldn’t learn nearly as fast.
  
I find that I relate real life to the 8 concepts, maybe a little too much more than I should. I always look at a situation and think, well, what do I need to give up to get? and out comes that word again... opportunity cost. I think that it was described well in class (kudos to you) and it really just made sense to me and made me realize how often we think about the pros and cons of things and how we really need to give up things  and rank the importance of them, in order to get the most from something else. So, that, and thinking at the margin... I say that a lot, too

My strongest memory from this class so far is making the Xtranormal video with ____ and ____. To me this was a fun way to learn more about economics while also putting humor in it. It was a different method so the students weren’t stuck doing the same thing over and over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment